Saturday, March 3, 2012

Vegetarian Goulash



I made the above dish by modifying this recipe I found on Food.com. The author calls it a "Poverty Meal" but some reviewers have said the recipe was similar to a goulash they make so I'm calling mine a Vegertarian Goulash :) Although I eat meat, I don't like cooking with it so I substituted the ground beef with firm tofu instead. Because I work as a massage therapist, I needed some stuff that won't burn through as quickly since I have a high metabolism so I also added in a can of kidney beans. I like squash and corn so that was added too :)

1 tbs of olive oil
1 can can of stewed tomatoes (I used canned diced tomatoes in juice)
1 can of water
2 cloves of garlic - minced
1 yellow onion - chopped or sliced
1/2 block of firm tofu - cubed
1 cup of pasta (doesn't matter if it's elbows, shells or whatnot)
1 can of corn
1 squash - peeled and cut
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Brown the onion and garlic in a large pan in the olive oil.
Once browned, add in the tomatoes (juice and all) and the water.
Add in the pasta, corn and beans.
Let simmer for about 8-10 minutes but be sure to stir often so that the pasta doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
Stir in the squash. Simmer for about 2 minutes.
Stir in the tofu. The tofu will sponge up the liquid so be sure you don't add it in with the pasta before it's halfway cooked.
Let simmer for another 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
Season with salt and pepper to your liking.

Enjoy!

P.S. I don't cook very much so I hope this dish is as tasty for you as it is for me. Feel free to give me any advice :)

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment