Before and After: Botched Pencil Dress to Gorgeous Wiggle Dress
Something must have "clicked" over the last few months when I started sewing clothes again. This is the second dress I've made within a 7 day period from start to finish with little mistakes. The latest finished dress is a rockabilly style wiggle dress. I attempted to make one last year but didn't exactly follow directions and tried to wing it and it came out bad. Like really bad. So I put it away and out of sight, out of mind. I decided to pull it back out a few days ago and try to salvage it. There's nothing worse than wasting large amounts of fabric on something not finished. So, armed with patience and a whole lot more knowledge, I have a gorgeous wiggle dress that I can't wait to wear out!
The original disaster dress that didn't fit right because I tried to wing it.
I didn't like how I made the bodice on the original dress so I used the skirt part to make a new one. I originally intended for the bodice to look more like the one I made on this dress last week but I ended up changing it into a boatneck. The scoop neck wasn't working for this dress. I knew I wanted a wiggle dress of some sort so I did a lot of research on Modcloth and Pin Up Girl Clothing to find as inspiration. In the end, I used black twill fabric to make the skirt portion.
The gorgeous redo.
I'm so happy with how this turned out. It's definitely a confidence booster knowing that I can make garments that fit well.