Thursday, April 4, 2013

Healthy Chocolate Quinoa Pancakes



I was starving this morning and decided to make pancakes from scratch.  For the first time.  Actually, decided to make pancakes for the first time ever.  This is coming from someone who never craves pancakes and used to be an expert at cooking with a microwave or ordering takeout (I was spoiled by my mama with her cooking when I lived at home).  But since I had most of the ingredients, I decided to play around some.  I found a pretty easy recipe here that did not call for buttermilk.  I tweaked it based on what I had on hand and ended up making this delicious dark chocolate quinoa pancake using dark chocolate almond milk.

I sprinkled cinnamon and drizzled honey on my pancakes instead of regular syrup and the sweetness was just perfect for my taste.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or gluten free flour if you have intolerances)
1 1/4 Silk dark chocolate almond milk
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1 egg
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons agave sweetene
cooking spray
 
Directions:
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
Whisk in melted butter, egg, almond milk and quinoa until combined. Let the batter sit for 5 minutes to thicken up.
Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray. Pour batter into the hot skillet, about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbles appear on the sides and center of each pancake. Flip and cook about 1 to 2 minutes.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment