Thursday, January 3, 2013

Lemon Pepper Chicken Stir Fry ( Gluten Free)


I am starting to really like this cooking thing.  I made this very lemony pepper chicken stir fry dish based on this orange chicken recipe I found on Pinterest.  I didn't have oranges on hand but had lemon so I changed it up a little and used Tamari Soy Sauce instead of regular SS to make it gluten free.

I ended up with a little over 2 servings based on what I used below.  You may end up with more or less depending on how much chicken and veggies you add.  The veggies I use were what I had on hand.  You can use whatever you have or prefer.  I would have made it more Asian if I had water chestnuts and cut baby corn :) 

Ingredients:
5 pieces of cut chicken breast, sliced
fresh broccoli florets
green and red pepper (I used frozen as that is what I had on hand)
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1 tbs of olive oil

For the sauce:
zest of  lemons
juice of  lemons
1 tsp of ground or fresh ginger
2 tbs of rice vinegar
2 tbs of Tamari Soy Sauce (or regular SS if you're not a gluten free diet)
1 tbs of oyster sauce
3 cloves of garlic, minced

1 tbs of sugar

 In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce.  Pour a little of the sauce in another bowl and add some of the cut chicken to it.  Stir the chicken around to marinate them in the sauce.  Keep adding more chicken and a little more sauce each time until all the chicken is marinated.  Keep in mind, you need most of the sauce for the stir fry so you don't need to let the chicken swim in a pool of sauce :)

Heat the oil in a frying pan.  Add in all the veggies except for the broccoli, stirring frequently for about 2 minutes.  Add in a little bit of the sauce and stir the veggies around to marinate them.  Put the cover on for about 2 minutes to let them "steam" cook.  Add in the chicken and the rest of the sauce.  Stir the chicken around so they are not sticking to one another.  Once the chicken turns mostly white, put the top back on for another minute or so.  Stir the broccoli in and put the top back for another minute.  Check to make sure the chicken is completely done and when it is....Voila!  Your lemon pepper chicken stir fry is ready to be enjoyed!  Serve over jasmine rice and ground up some black pepper over the yumminess!

My Notes:
I don't like my broccoli mushy which is why I add them in at the end and only cook for a short time.  Because the chicken is cut thinly, be sure you don't over cook unless you like your chicken dry.  Blech. 

Update 1/08/13 - I just made this dish again because I was too lazy to go out and do more grocery shopping so I use what I had on hand.  The second time around, I only used 1lemon for the juice and zest (opposed to the 2 I originally used for the recipe) and agave sweetener instead of sugar.  I like how it came out the second time.  The lemony flavor is not as strong and the agave sweetener made it just perfect to balance out the tamari sauce.  


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment