Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mac and Cheese!


Today, I made mac and cheese from scratch for the first time.  I wasn't sure how it would turn out but I shared some with my friend/neighbor.  My friend is a foodie and loves to cook so when he took his first bite and told me it was awesome, I was very flattered.  Even after I realized I forgot to add the pepper in.  I know you're thinking "mac and cheese is easy to make!"  but I am still a cooking newbie and with the plethora of mac and cheese recipes, it can be a bit intimidating.  For me, the less ingredients I need to use, the less likely I'll mess it up :)  So, I found this recipe and adapted it a little based on some of the reviews. By the way, my total cost for all the ingredients was around $5.71.  The original recipe is for 6 servings.  One thing I liked about how mine turned out was that it was not that salty and it was creamy.  

1 can of cheese soup.
1 1/4 cup of milk (I used low fat)
1 bag (8oz) of shredded Colby Jack cheese
1/2 cup of sour cream
1 package (16oz) of macaroni

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  

Cook the macaroni as directed on the package to al dente.  I added a teaspoon of salt to the water to give the mac some seasoning.

While the mac is cooking, mix the can of cheese with the milk.  The cheese will be gloppy so it's okay if it doesn't mix smoothly with the milk.   


Once it's been cooked to al dente, drain and transfer the cooked mac to a casserole dish. 

Mix in the cheese/milk mixture until all or most of the mac is coated.

Add the sour cream.  Again, mix it well into the mac.

Add in half the bag of cheese and mix into the mac.

Take the remainder of the bag and sprinkle generously to cover the top of the macaroni.  

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is browning and bubbly.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment